Saturday, October 17, 2009

vegan berry chantilly cake - revisited


Vegan Berry 'Chantilly' Cake - the final look
the practice round; half cake style.

building the layers

building the layers...


I made a version of this cake back in May; this time I altered the frostings a bit, so it held together better (the previous version fell apart after it set; delicious nonetheless).
This cake is based on the Whole Foods Market version.
For the cake, I used the basic yellow cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but used agave nectar instead of sugar.
I made three different frostings -
For the between layers - I used a slightly altered version of coconut creme frosting from Elana's Pantry plus a little bit of basic vegan creme cheeze frosting (but adding more almond extract). For the frosting the outer layer and top, I used the same vegan creme cheeze frosting. Then for the 'lacing' (I used a leaf tip/pastry bag), I used a basic vegan butter creme frosting (but with more almond extract) - it holds together better.
For the berries between the layers, I used strawberry, blueberry, raspberry and let them macerate; For the berries on top, I coated them with sugar-free apricot jam.
delicious!

No comments: